Prior to the NCAA, the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) conducted a championship track meet. The first meet was held in 1876 and this event was essentially the national collegiate championships of the United States until the introduction of the NCAA, which took over the championship meet in 1921. The IC4A meet continued as a national meet until 1942. It has since become a regional meet for colleges and universities in the northeastern U.S. All results below are NCAA results. Women’s results are included beginning with 1982.
(* - Requires a log-in, but it's worth the extra effort. There's both a free and a paid membership. It's still worth the effort.)
Scoring for these meets has changed over the years so I thought a quick posting of scoring would be helpful. Notice 1982 thru 1984. I'd like to know how they came up with that scoring format.
Outdoor Scoring: (my thanks to Track & Field News, Cindy Arbelbide and to Ellen Summers, NCAA Librarian, for this scoring information)
- 1921 - 1922 meets, the top 5 places scored points. [5-3-2-1-½]
- 1923 - the top 6 places scored points. [5-4-3-2-1-½]
- 1924 - no meet
- 1925 - 1927 meets were not scored, but the NCAA retroactively awarded an "unofficial" title based on 6 places.
- 1928 to 1981 the top 6 scored. [10-8-6-4-2-1]
- 1982, 1983, 1984 meets: the top 12 places scored. [15-12-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1]
- Since 1985 the top 8 score points. [10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1]
- 1965-1967: Top five places. [5-4-3-2-1]
- 1968-1977: Top five places. [6-4-3-2-1]
- 1978-1993: Top six places. [10-8-6-4-2-1]
- Since 1994: Top eight places. [10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1]
NCAA Track Championship Results